- For Portland Spencer’s PE and Sport Premium 2019-20, please click here.
The Sport Premium may be used to develop or add to the physical education and sport activities offered within the school, or to build the capacity and capability to ensure that improvements made to sport provision will continue to benefit pupils joining the school in future years.
Schools are measured on the outcomes delivered through Sport Premium funding, which should include:
- the engagement of all pupils in regular physical activity – the Chief Medical Officer guidelines recommend that all children and young people aged 5 to 18 engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity a day, of which 30 minutes should be in school
- the profile of PE and sport is raised across the school as a tool for whole-school improvement
- increased confidence, knowledge and skills of all staff in teaching PEand sport
- broader experience of a range of sports and activities offered to all pupils
- increased participation in competitive sport
Examples of the uses of the PE and Sport premium in Spencer Academies Trust schools include:
- providing staff with the professional development, training and resources to allow them to teach PE and sport more effectively
- hiring qualified sports coaches to work with teachers to enhance or extend current opportunities
- introducing new sports, dance or other activities to encourage more pupils to take up sport and physical activities
- to encourage pupils to take on leadership or volunteer roles that support sport and physical activity within the school; and
- to embed physical activity as part of the school day through active travel to and from school, active playgrounds and active teaching.