Portland Spencer Academy - proposed admission arrangements for the 2018/19 school year.
As the governors of Portland Spencer Academy are proposing no changes to the 2018/19 admission arrangements from those approved for the 2017/18 school year, the governors will not be consulting on those arrangements. This is in accordance with paragraph 1.42 of the 2014 School Admissions Code. The admissions arrangements will be considered at a future governing body meeting and a copy of the determined arrangements will be displayed on this website in April 2017.
Portland Spencer Academy is committed to providing an education of the highest quality for all its pupils and recognises that this can only be achieved by supporting and promoting excellent school attendance for all.
Good Attendance is essential if pupils are to take full advantage of school and gain the appropriate skills, which will equip them for life. High attainment depends on good attendance.
The whole school community – pupils, parents and carers, teaching and support staff and school governors – have a responsibility for ensuring good school attendance and have important roles to play. The school will monitor attendance and ensure quick and early intervention of a problem if identified.
- Determined Admission Arrangements 2020-21
- Determined Admission Arrangements 2019-20
- Determined Admission Arrangements 2018-19
- Determined Admission Arrangements 2017-18
- Determined Admission Arrangements 2016-17
At Portland we aim for an environment which enables and encourages all members of the community to achieve excellence. For children to gain the greatest benefit from their education it is vital that they attend regularly and your child should be at school, on time, every day on which the school is open.
All staff (teaching and support) at our school have a key role to play in supporting and promoting excellent school attendance and will work to provide an environment in which all our pupils are eager to learn, feel valued members of the school community and look forward to coming to school every day. Staff also have a responsibility to set a good example in matters relating to their own attendance and punctuality.
The attendance policy is based on the premise of equal rights for all.
Aims of the Policy:
- To improve the quality of school life.
- To create a culture in which good attendance is the norm.
- To demonstrate to pupils, parents and staff that the school values good attendance.
- To recognise that good regular attendance is an achievement.
- To be consistent in implementation, both in terms of rewards and sanctions.
- To value the individual.
Objectives of the Policy:
- Improved communication with parents, in relation to regular attendance.
- All school staff to be involved in taking responsibility for encouraging regular attendance.
- Effective working relationship with Nottingham City Council and their welfare team.